Broccolini is a cross between regular broccoli and Chinese kale, so it is a very nutritious vegetable. I have seen it many times at Trader Joe’s, but I have always been a little hesitant to buy it. When I came across the “Garlicky Broccolini” recipe in America’s Test Kitchen, Cooking Fresh, 2015, I decided to buy it! For me, steaming my vegetables, then quickly sautéing is a foolproof method for cooking vegetables and that’s exactly what I did. This healthy and easy vegetable side has my favorite flavors of garlic and Parmesan cheese with the extra “kick” of the red pepper flakes!
- 1 pound organic broccolini
- 1 to 2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sea salt
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Trim the broccolini by cutting off 1-inch of the ends. If the stalks are thicker than a ½-inch, split the stalk bottoms in half about 2-inches from the ends. This will help the broccolini cook more evenly and the tips won’t get over done.
- Steam the broccolini, until they are bright green and stalks are tender crisp. Place the steamed vegetable in a plate.
- Using a large nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add red pepper flakes and garlic. When the garlic becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds, add the broccolini and toss. Add salt to taste. Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serves 4.