On my weekly trip to Trader Joe’s, I purchased a one pound bag of organic beets. I hate to admit this, but I have never cooked beets before. I don’t why either, because I love to eat them. So I searched the Internet on how to cook beets. It was so simple. First, I trimmed the ends. Then I filled a saucepan with water and added 2 tablespoons of vinegar and simmered for about 50 minutes, until tender to the poking of a fork. The directions recommended the vinegar to prevent “bleeding,” but there was still a lot deep pink everywhere! I used many paper towels, so as not to stain anything!
When the beets were done cooking, I rinsed them off and dried them using lots of paper towels. Finally, I sliced the tasty vegetable and they were ready to eat. I was amazed how delicious they were with no seasonings. They are so healthy for you too! Here is a list of some of the health benefits associated with them:
- Lower blood pressure
- Boost your stamina
- Fight inflammation
- Anti-cancer properties
- High in vitamin C, fiber, potassium and manganese
I will be preparing my own organic beets from now on, especially when I can inexpensively and easily buy them at my local Trader Joe’s! They make a terrific snack all by themselves or a wonderful ingredient in salads!
I came across this truly beautiful and colorful salad a couple of months ago on the William-Sonoma website, published February 6, 2015. Then at a recent trip to Trader Joe’s, I found the jarred beets and the lightbulb went off in my brain! Since I have never prepared beets before, finding the jarred beets was quick and easy solution in helping me try out this healthy salad! This dish is so refreshing with lemon and orange zest and full of different textures with the beets, carrots and oranges. What a delicious and tasty salad to accompany spring and summer meals!
- 2 beets (approx. 1 lb.), I used Trader Joe’s Cut Beets in Vinaigrette
- 1 lb. organic carrots
- 2 organic oranges
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Zest of 1 orange
- 4 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Fresh Italian parsley leaves for garnish
- Using a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, orange zest, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Using a mandoline, thinly slice the beets and carrots.
- With a sharp knife, slice off the both ends of the orange. Then peel the orange, being careful to remove the pith. Cut each side of orange segment to release it from the membrane.
- In a large bowl, toss the beets with ⅓ of the vinaigrette. Then divide the beets onto 4 to 6 plates. Repeat with the procedure with the carrots and place them on top of the beets.
- Top the salad with the orange slices and garnish with the parsley. Finally, drizzle with the remaining dressing. Serves 4 to 6.
Blogger’s Note: My mandoline did not slice the carrots thin enough, in my opinion, so next time I will try using my vegetable peeler to make the carrot slices.