This healthy and delicious vegetable side dish reminds me of summer! It is full of wonderful flavors…tangy lemon juice and zest, salty Pecorino Romano, fresh basil with a subtle buttery taste…not to mention the English peas and sugar snap peas! In just a few minutes you get a wonderful dish that everybody will love! This terrific recipe came from Williams-Sonoma.com.
Sautéed Garden Peas with Basil & Pecorino Romano
- 1 tablespoon organic butter
- 1 tablespoon organic extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 pound English peas, shelled
- ¼ cup water
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon
- Fresh basil, approximately 4 sprigs torn into pieces
- Freshly grated pecorino romano cheese, approximately 1 ounce
- Using a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Add the sugar snap peas and the English peas. Pour in the water. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and cover. Cook for about 2 minutes. Uncover and stir on occasion, until water has evaporated. The peas should be tender crisp and bright green.
- Remove pan from heat. Grate 2 teaspoons of lemon zest. Add the juice of ½ lemon and the zest. Then salt and pepper to taste. Mix well. Finally, add the grated cheese and the basil.