One of my favorite vegetables is asparagus, so I’m very glad it is in season right now! I came across this delicious and healthy recipe on my Facebook feed. This wonderful salad is by Melissa Clark, New York Times Cooking. Since my cooking style is easy and organic when possible, I used canned organic Great Northern beans. But what makes this dish fabulous is the fresh tarragon, lemon and garlic dressing. I reduce the amount of salt and olive oil by half, so you may want to adjust it to your own personal tastes. You won’t be disappointed with this simple, flavorful and spring salad!
Great Northern Bean and Asparagus Salad with Tarragon-Lemon Dressing
- 2 (15-ounce) cans organic Great Northern beans
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound asparagus
- ½ cup tarragon leaves
- 1 teaspoon packed finely grated lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large lemon + more to taste, juiced
- ¼ cup organic extra-virgin olive oil
- Trim off the tough ends of the asparagus. Boil or steam asparagus, until just cooked through, but still firm. Immediately place in a bowl of ice water. After 5 minutes, remove from the water and dry with paper towels. Slice on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
- Rinse beans with water and drain. Set aside.
- In a blender, add tarragon, lemon zest, garlic, salt, black pepper, and lemon juice. Blend together for 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together beans and asparagus with dressing. Taste and add more lemon juice and salt, if needed.