For those who are celebrating Thanksgiving today, I want to wish you all a happy and healthy holiday! While I have so many things I am grateful for, I cannot forget the people who are struggling for simple basic things, like peace, food and shelter. I pray for all people in these dire situations.
The recipe I am sharing with you for this week’s Fiesta Friday is a simple and very healthy salad of spinach, avocado, pomegranate seeds and sunflower seeds. What made this salad so easy to make was I was able to use pre-washed organic baby spinach leaves and deseeded pomegranate! The dressing is a 5 ingredient vinaigrette with lemon juice, Dijon mustard and olive oil. My salad was adapted from Martha Stewart’s recipe with a few minor changes. It is such deliciously light salad to enjoy after some holiday overindulgence!
- 1 pomegranate or 1 (5.3 ounce) Trader Joe’s Pomegranate Seeds package
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 bunches of flat leaf spinach, stems trimmed or 1 (6 ounce) package organic baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons roasted and hulled sunflower seeds
- 1 Haas avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- For directions on how to deseed a pomegranate, please click on the following link: SimplyRecipes.com.
- Using a large bowl, whisk together lemon juice, mustard and oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then add spinach, sunflower seeds and pomegranate seeds to the large bowl with dressing.
- Arrange avocado slices on individual plates. Top with salad and serve immediately. 6 servings.