For the last couple of weeks, I have been seeing this “new” squash, delicata, at my local Trader Joe’s. I did some research on it and decided to buy it this weekend. Delicata is a winter squash with yellow skin and green striations. The great thing about this squash is the skin is edible, so no peeling needed! It is an excellent source of vitamin A and a good source of vitamin C and fiber. Since it was the first time my husband and I were trying this “new” vegetable, I prepared it very simply by roasting it with grapeseed oil, salt and pepper. It was delicious! The flavor and texture reminded me of a sweet potato. Another simple and healthy vegetable to add to our list of items we should eat!
- 1 medium delicata squash
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Line a rimmed baking pan with foil.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut off both ends of the squash. Cut in half lengthwise. Spoon out the seeds, then make ½-inch slices.
- Brush both sides with oil. Place on baking pan in a single layer. Add salt and pepper to taste. Roast for about 30 minutes, until golden brown. Serves 2.