I can never pass up on the cut up organic butternut squash at Costco. It makes life and cooking so much easier, not to mention how delicious the roasted squash is! The soup recipe I am sharing with you, today, is the perfect blend of butternut squash and spicy chipotle chili. It is the kind of soup you would want to warm your chilled bones on a cold fall or winter day! I found this wonderful recipe by Marcela Valladolid on the Food Network. As usual, I made some minor changes in the ingredients and in the preparation to suit to my tastes and cooking style. I can’t wait to make it for my daughter, when she comes home from Michigan for a weekend visit later this month. I promise you that you won’t be disappointed with this simple and healthy soup!
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 2 pounds organic butternut squash or 1 medium squash
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 organic stalks celery, chopped
- 2 organic carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups organic chicken broth
- 1½ teaspoons minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- ¼ teaspoon minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- ½ cup organic plain nonfat yogurt
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- If using a whole butternut squash, cut it in half and use the grapeseed oil to grease the flesh sides of the squash. Place on a foil lined, rimmed baking sheet. Add salt and pepper to taste. Roast for about 45 minutes, until very tender. If using cut up squash, toss with grapeseed oil in a large bowl. Place on a foil lined, rimmed baking. Add salt and pepper to taste. Roast for about 30 minutes, until slightly brown and tender. Remove from oven and cool.
- Using a large nonstick frying pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery; then season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 10 minute, then add the garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- If using a whole squash, scoop the flesh into blender. If using cut up squash, place pieces in the blender. Blend the squash and chipotle with some chicken stock, until very smooth. Transfer to a large pot.
- Place cooked onion, carrot, celery and garlic mixture in the blender with some chicken stock. Blend until smooth. Transfer to the large pot.
- Add remaining chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
- In a small bowl, mix together yogurt and chipotle. Add salt to taste.
- Spoon soup into individual bowls, top with “Chipotle Cream” and garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately. 6 servings.