This deliciously healthy soup is so easy to make and takes about 30 minutes to prepare. It is made with cannellini beans, zucchini, carrots, green beans, tomatoes and spinach. You can use either chicken broth or make it totally vegetarian by using vegetable broth. The soup is seasoned with thyme, sage and garlic. You can easily double the recipe, so you can have more for later in the week or you can freeze it and serve at a later date. I found this wonderful recipe in Ellie Krieger’s The Food You Crave, Taunton Press, 2008. The only change I made to this dish was adding the fresh green beans. With the cooler weather just around the corner, this is the perfect soup to take the chill out of your bones!
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can cannellini or other small white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ large red onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium organic carrot, diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 celery stalks, diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 small zucchini, diced (about 1½ cups)
- ½ cup organic green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage or ½ teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can organic diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 cups (2 ounces) organic baby spinach, chopped
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Using a masher or the back of a spoon, mash half of the beans in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, green beans, garlic thyme, sage, salt and pepper. Cook, stir occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Then add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach. Cook for about 3 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serves 6.