Next Friday, I will be having a colonoscopy. This is not my first one and fortunately, the doctors have never found a polyp! I was used to the day before diet of clear liquids, Jello, Popsicles and the “preparation” drink; but I was not prepared for the diet 7 days before!!!
7 days before the procedure:
- No high fiber diet
- No raw fruits or vegetables
- No whole wheat or multigrain food
- No nuts or popcorn
- Avoid poppy seeds and sesame seeds
- No oatmeal
I can’t believe that for the next seven days that I can’t eat any of the healthy foods that I love! Well, enough of my complaining! I am so lucky to have this be a “routine procedure” and that I don’t have a restrictive diet all the time. Count my blessings!
The challenge for me will be breakfast and lunch. On work days, I leave the house very early, so I usually eat fresh fruit, nuts, and/or a Kind bar. For lunch, I usually eat healthy salads from Trader Joe’s. The following is what I am planning to eat, because it is quick and easy:
- English muffin with organic creamy peanut butter and organic apricot preserves
- Nonfat yogurt with fruit (individual serving with seedless fruit)
- Coffee or green tea (need the caffeine)
- Sliced turkey breast with hummus
- Egg salad with white bread
- Canned soup
- Organic applesauce (side dish)
Dinner will be much easier, turkey burgers, fish or chicken breast tenderloins for protein. Side dish will be sautéed or steamed vegetables. I hope that the week goes quickly, because I will truly miss the fresh raw fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds! However, I will be able to indulge in some potatoes chips (no popcorn😞) and a few Hershey kisses without feeling too guilty!