Although, the list of ingredients for this deliciously healthy salad seems long, it contains items most commonly found in the refrigerator and the pantry. I found this easy to make salad in Ellie Krieger’s The Food You Crave, The Taunton Press, 2008. Ellie used to have a show on the Food Network, featuring healthy recipes. It is a shame that her show in no longer on, because she had the only show of this type on the network!
I seem to gravitate towards recipes that contain garbanzo beans, cumin, cayenne pepper and lemon juice! This salad is a wonderful mixture of flavors and textures! Fortunately, most of the ingredients I used were organic and were bought at my local Trader Joe’s. The only change I made to this recipe was I omitted the orange zest, because oranges didn’t look great at the market. Believe me, you won’t miss it, because the salad was so tasty without it!
- 1 (15 ounce) can organic garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon organic ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons organic plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon organic honey
- 2 ounces organic baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped organic fresh mint
- Using a medium bowl, mix together the beans, parsley and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, zest, cumin and cayenne. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour dressing over bean mixture and toss well.
- Using another small bowl, mix together yogurt, orange juice and honey.
- Serve bean salad over a bed of spinach leaves. Top with yogurt sauce and garnish with mint. 4 servings.