A long time ago, when I was living in Southern California, there was a restaurant chain called “The Magic Pan.” They were famous for their delicious crepes. I would eat there for lunch and dinner and would frequently order their “Orange Almond Salad. ” So today for lunch, I decided to have this wonderfully healthy salad. It is a very simple dish made with only romaine lettuce, sweet Mandarin oranges, and toasty almonds. I dressed it with a very basic vinaigrette made with tangy lemon. What is great about this salad is that it can easily be prepared with ingredients commonly found in the refrigerator and pantry!
- 8 ounces romaine lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 (11 ounces) can Mandarin oranges, drained
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ¼ cup organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste and blend well.
- Using a large bowl, add lettuce and oranges and gently toss with the vinaigrette.
- Sprinkle with almonds and serve. 4 servings.