Barbecue season is upon us! This potato salad goes great with grilled chicken or beef. My salad was adapted by Martha Stewart’s New Potato Salad, “Everyday Food,” published July/August 2007. What is wonderful about this potato dish is that it is not mayonnaise based, so you don’t have to worry about it spoiling quickly in warm weather. Traditional French-style potato salad uses white wine, but this one uses tangy lemon juice and zest! I used a combination of small red and gold potatoes, instead of just new red. The salad is so easy to make and so delicious to eat!
- 1½ pounds new red potatoes, sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 2 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- Place a steamer basket in a large pot and fill with water up to bottom of basket. Bring water to boil and add potatoes. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover pot. Cook until tender, occasionally tossing potatoes, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, place lemon zest and juice in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer potatoes to bowl and gently toss with lemon juice. Refrigerate for about an hour, until cool.
- Gently incorporate oil with potatoes. Add additional salt and pepper, if necessary. Mix in herbs. Can be refrigerated for one day. Serve at room temperature. 4 servings.