One of my many food eating goals this year is to eat more foods that are “raw” and of course, simple. With the growing season upon us, the variety of fresh fruits and vegetables is fabulous at our local markets. Since this is the best time for asparagus, I want to eat it as much as possible. To me, it doesn’t taste very good raw, but it is wonderful when lightly streamed, until it is al dente. So I decided to prepare it with a lemony vinaigrette and carrots for sweetness and color. It is served cold, so it can be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve. This is a delicious and healthy side dish for indoor or outdoor entertaining!
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin organic olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Trim off the tough ends of the asparagus. Stream the vegetable for about 4 minutes, until it is al dente. Remove from heat and place on a plate to let it cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil and red onion. Add salt and pepper to taste and blend thoroughly.
- Cut asparagus on the diagonal about ¼-inch thick. Place in a large bowl. Stir in dressing and gently mix. Add carrots on top. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serves 4.