When I saw this delicious and colorful salad being made by Giada De Laurentiis, I decided right then and there that I needed to buy myself a mandoline! So I searched the internet, watched videos and made the decision to purchase on Amazon the Börner V-Slicer Plus Mandoline. The mandoline was pretty easy to use once I figured it out, but be very careful not to cut yourself!
- 1 head Bibb lettuce (Boston Lettuce)
- 4 large (5 ounces) white button mushrooms
- 4 large red radishes, trimmed
- 1 small fennel bulb, top trimmed
- 6 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 2½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place whole lettuce leaves on a large platter, along with the thinly sliced mushrooms, radishes and fennel.
- Whisk together the oil, lemon juice, chives, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a small bowl to blend.
- Using 4 individual plates, place some sliced fennel, mushrooms and radishes on top of a Bibb lettuce leaf. Add dressing and enjoy!
The salad was light and refreshing! It is a delightful mixture of flavors and textures. You have the licorice taste of the fennel, the spicy radish, the buttery flavor of the Bibb lettuce with the lemony-chive vinaigrette! I used half the amount of salt and pepper and only 4 tablespoons olive oil, but used more lemon juice, approximately 3 tablespoons in total. This salad is not only simple and delicious, but so healthy to eat!