Since I started blogging, I have become a lover of kale, especially when I can buy it organic, cut, washed and ready to use! In this hearty side dish, the garbanzo beans helps to balance out the slightly bitter taste of the kale along with the garlic and red pepper flakes. There are only six ingredients to make this tasty and healthy side! I found this wonderful recipe on the Williams Sonoma, Vegetable of the Day, by Kate MacMillan (Weldon Owen, 2012).
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) Trader Joe’s Organic Tuscan Kale
- 1 can (15 ounces) organic garbanzo beans
- Red pepper flakes
- Sea salt
- Warm olive oil over low heat in a large non-stick frying pan. Add garlic and stir frequently, until soft, but not brown for a few minutes.
- Place half of kale in frying pan. Cover pan and let kale wilt for a few minutes. Add remaining kale and stir, until kale is coated with olive oil. Cover and cook, until kale is tender for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in garbanzo beans. Add salt and red pepper flakes to taste. Sauté for about 5 minutes, until beans are heated through. Serve immediately. Serves 4.