This delicious side dish is incredibly easy to make, but is complex with the different flavors and textures. You can definitely taste the tahini, but also the lemon, garlic, cilantro, green onion, cumin and the red pepper flakes! Then you have the firm texture of chickpeas and the crunchiness of the endive and pine nuts all mixed together! It is truly a simple dish to prepare, but full of sophisticated flavors. This modified vegetarian recipe came from Oprah Magazine, January 2015.
- 1 can (15 ounce) organic chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¹⁄₈ to ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1½ to 2 cups red endive, thinly sliced
- Toasted pine nuts for garnish (optional)
- In a medium nonstick frying pan, place chickpeas and cover with water. Bring water to a simmer and heat beans until warm for about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Using a large bowl, combine green onions, cilantro, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, cumin, salt, and red pepper flakes. Whisk tahini and olive oil together and mix with the ingredients in the large bowl. Add chickpeas and gently mix together.
- In a serving dish, spread the endive. Then add the chickpea mixture. Finally, garnish with the pine nuts and serve. Serves 4.