Happy New Year everyone! I hope your holidays were happy and healthy! Well, for me, the New Year means making some new resolutions and trying to live up to some old ones! The one that keeps recurring every year is trying to eat healthier, so here is a delicious recipe for “Cranberry-Citrus Muffins” I found on health.com. It has tart pieces of cranberry with a hint of lemon flavor from the lemon rind. They get their moistness from low-fat yogurt. I was able to use all organic ingredients, except for the baking powder!
- 1½ cups chopped frozen organic cranberries
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons organic all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cups organic granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup organic sunflower oil
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
- ½ teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 2 large organic egg whites
- 8 ounces organic vanilla low-fat yogurt
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 tablespoon organic granulated sugar
- 18 large baking cups
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using the 2 tablespoons of flour, sprinkle the cranberries and gently mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix 2 cups of flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, lemon rind, vanilla extract, egg whites and egg. Create a well in the center of flour mixture, then add the oil mixture and stir just enough to moisten the flour mixture. Fold in the cranberries. Spoon the batter into 18 lined muffin cups.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes, until lightly browned, and a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center of a muffin. Place on a wire rack to cool. Makes 18 muffins.