I love Caesar salad, but I like to make a lighter version without anchovies and egg yolks—less fat and salt! We are having this tonight with my chicken sausage lasagne. Homemade croutons are so easy to make and have a wonderful crunch! This is truly a light and less fattening version!
- 4 to 6 slices of sourdough bread, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 ½ pounds organic romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Toss bread cubes with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place bread on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for about 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- In a small-medium bowl, whisk oil, garlic, vinegar and lemon juice thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a large bowl, toss romaine with dressing, cheese and croutons. Serves 6 to 8.