Tis the season for apples, citrus and cranberries! My inspiration came from Cook’s Illustrated’s “Apple-Cranberry Salad with Creamy Lemon Vinaigrette,” November 1996. This salad is a wonderful mixture of flavors from the lemon zest and dried cranberries to the crunchy textures of the Granny Smith apples, celery and walnuts! It is so easy to make with ingredients commonly found in the refrigerator and pantry. I used organic Greek yogurt, instead of heavy cream, and used a little honey to sweeten the vinaigrette.
- 2 organic Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon organic lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons organic lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon organic sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons organic Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon organic honey
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large organic celery rib, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons organic dried cranberries
- 1 cup organic walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 4 large lettuces leaves, romaine (shaped to fit plate) or butter
- In a medium bowl, toss apples with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and set aside.
- Using a small bowl, whisk oil, yogurt, lemon juice and zest thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add celery, walnuts and cranberries to apple. Drizzle dressing over fruit mixture and gently mix. Spoon fruit mixture into each of the four lettuce leaves and serve. Serves 4.