This wonderful and healthy salad is a take-off of the classic Waldorf salad. My inspiration came from Mark Peel in Food and Wine, November 2009. I modified it to the tastes of my family and what I had in my kitchen. It is incredibly easy to make and gets it spiciness from the arugula, radish and cumin!
Ingredients for dressing:
- 1 tablespoons minced shallot
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons organic canola oil
- ½ teaspoon organic cumin
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
In a small bowl, combine shallot, lemon zest, lemon juice, canola oil and cumin. Whisk thoroughly. Add salt and pepper to taste and whisk well.
Ingredients for salad:
- ½ cup (2 ounces) organic walnut halves or pieces
- 2 cups (4 ounces) organic romaine lettuce, shredded
- 8 large radishes, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 cup organic celery, thinly
- 2 cups (4 ounces) organic arugula
- ¼ cup organic raisins
- 1 organic Fuji apple, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced crosswise
Directions for salad:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and toast walnuts for about 8 minutes, until golden and break into pieces.
- In a large salad bowl, add romaine, arugula, celery, radish, raisins, apples and walnuts. Toss with dressing and serve immediately. Serves 4.