It’s that time of year to start baking some Christmas cookies and to send my daughter a care package for finals week! I don’t know how much time I will have for baking this year, but I thought I should start with a family and childhood favorite, Butter Rich Spritz cookies! The recipe came from a very old Pillsbury cookie recipe booklet that my mother had and she passed it on to me. I would have called this an organic cookie, except for the fact that the green food coloring and the cookie decorations are definitely not organic! For me, it just wouldn’t be Christmas without these rich buttery cookies to bake and eat!
- 2½ cups organic all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic butter
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 organic egg
- ½ teaspoon Simply Organic Almond Extract
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Vanilla Extract
- Cream butter, then gradually add the powdered sugar. Blend in egg, almond extract and vanilla extract.
- Add food coloring, if you are going to use it.
- Gradually add the flour and mix well.
- Put dough into cookie press.
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Place on a nonstick, ungreased cookie sheet. Decorate. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes.
Money saving tip: Whole Foods was having a sale on Simply Organic extracts and with the store and manufacturer’s coupons, I saved a few bucks! The following is a link to Simply Organic, where you can print money-saving coupons for their products.