During my weekly trip to Trader Joe’s, I came across some really nice eggplants and decided to make my spicy pasta sauce. What is great about this sauce is that it can be made quickly during the busy work week.
- 2 tablespoon organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ pound eggplant, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) organic diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried organic oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried organic basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt
In a large nonstick frying pan, heat olive oil with garlic and red pepper flakes over low-medium heat. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Once the garlic starts to sizzle, add the eggplant. Sauté until the eggplant starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, oregano, basil and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add salt to taste. Serve over cooked pasta of your choice. Serves 4.
Blogger’s note: This is a thick sauce and you may need to add a little water to have a little juice. For those who prefer a sauce with more liquid, use a 28 ounce can of tomatoes and adjust the seasonings.