Since I don’t like to waste food, I decided to make a taco salad with the leftover ingredients from the tortilla soup I made earlier this week.This salad is gluten-free, but can also be vegetarian, if you omit the cheese and chicken. What makes this salad special is the cilantro dressing, which gets its tang from the lime juice, the bite from the jalapeno pepper and the subtle sweetness from the agave!
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon organic agave
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Place in cilantro, jalapeno pepper, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, water, cumin and agave in a blender and blend. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 organic romaine lettuce heart, shredded ½ inch strips
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup frozen organic corn, thawed
- 1 can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, chopped and cubed
- 3 corn tortillas, cut in half and sliced into ¼ inch strips
- ¼ cup lite shredded Mexican blend cheese (optional)
- 4 chicken breast tenderloins, cooked and thinly sliced (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Assemble the ingredients for the salad, finishing with the tortilla strips as the garnish. Drizzle the salad with the dressing. Serves 3 to 4.