I had some leftover leeks, so I decided to make potato leek soup. Not only is this soup delicious and so easy to make, it is gluten-free and vegetarian! The yellow-orange color comes from the vegetable broth I used.
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound leeks, cut crosswise and thinly sliced
- 1 pound organic russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups organic Trader Joe’s Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4-inch long pieces of chives for garnish
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pan (3.5 quart with lid). Add leeks and stir occasionally for 3 to 4 minutes, until leeks get soft. Stir in potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes. Add broth and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Transfer to a blender and liquefy. Add salt and pepper to taste. You may want to reheat soup in microwave or in large saucepan on cooktop.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with chives. Serves 4.