This carrot recipe has just the right amount of tasty spices to make ordinary carrots, anything but ordinary! I got my inspiration from Martha Stewart’s “Spiced Carrots” in Everyday Food, April 2004.
- 1 teaspoon organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 pound organic carrots, sliced diagonally 1/8 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Heat olive oil in a medium nonstick frying pan over low heat. Add garlic and cook for about 2 minutes or until tender. Then add chili powder and ground cumin and cook for another minute.
Stir in water. Add carrots, lemon zest and salt. Bring the water to a boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until carrots are tender.
Remove cover and rise heat to high. Cook until all liquid has evaporated. Stir in lemon juice and serve. Serves 4.