This is such a simple pasta sauce that can be made almost anytime, because all the ingredients can kept in the freezer and pantry!
- 12 ounce package Trader Joe’s Sweet Chicken Italian Sausage*
- 1 (28 ounce) can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried organic basil
- 1 teaspoon dried organic oregano
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces dry organic penne pasta
- Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- Fresh basil, finely shredded (optional)
Remove sausage from its casings and brown in a nonstick frying pan. Drain excess oil and set aside. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until lightly brown. Then add tomatoes, sausage, basil and oregano and simmer for about 45 minutes. Finally, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Boil water in a large pot, add pasta and cook until it is al dente. Serve immediately with pasta sauce. Optional, garnish with Parmesan cheese and shredded basil. Serves 4.
*I use this sausage, because it is lower in fat than Italian pork sausage, has minimal additives and tastes good. If anybody knows of a sausage that is healthier, please let me know. I have tried different brands, but found the chicken sausage cannot be removed from the casings.