It’s September, the weather is starting to get cooler in some parts of the country. It’s football season! It’s the perfect time for some chili! I got my inspiration from Ellie Krieger’s “Three Bean and Beef Chili.” I changed the recipe a bit and used almost all organic ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 organic red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 2 organic carrots, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pound organic lean ground beef (85% lean)
- 2 (14.5 ounce)) cans organic diced tomatoes, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can of chipotle chile
- 1/2 teaspoon dried organic oregano
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) organic pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) organic kidney beans
- Garnish with lite Mexican cheese blend (optional)
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over moderate heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and carrots and cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cumin and cook for about 1 minute. Add the ground beef. With a spoon break up the meat and cook until it is no longer pink. Stir in the tomatoes, water, chipotle, adobo sauce, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer and stir from time to time, partially covered, for 30 minutes. Add the beans and cook for another 20 minutes. Finally, add salt and pepper to taste. Serves 8.
Editor’s note: I got most of my ingredients from Trader Joe’s, because they have the best prices. The organic ground beef was bought at Costco.