This delicious recipe I found in Cook’s Illustrated, September/October 2014. I changed the recipe slightly, using organic ingredients when possible and frozen sweet corn, instead of fresh. I am sure it is even more flavorful with fresh corn!
- 2 tablespoon organic olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped fine
- 1/2 organic red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt
- 1 can organic black beans (15 ounce), rinsed
- 1 package frozen organic sweet corn (16 ounce) or 3 cups, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
In a 12 inch nonstick frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeno, until the onion has softened for about 4 to 6 minutes. Then add garlic, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt for about 1 minute. Finally, add the beans and cook until beans are warm for about 1 minute. Transfer black bean mixture to large bowl. Carefully wipe frying pan with a paper towel.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add corn and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until corn is browned and begins to “pop” for about 3 minutes. Stir corn again and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until it is nicely brown. Add corn to the bean mixture. Finally, stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve and enjoy!