- Trader Joe’s Pita Bread (white or whole wheat)
- Trader Joe’s Lite Shredded Mozzarella Cheese*
- Trader Joe’s Organic Sugar Plum Tomatoes cut in half
- Applegate Naturals Uncured Pepperoni (cut into 1/4 pieces)**
- Trader Joe’s 100% Italian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Red onion (thinly sliced)
- Basil (thinly sliced)
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Brush the border of the pita bread with olive oil. Spread the tomatoes flesh side up on the pita bread. Place the pepperoni on top of the tomatoes. Then add the thinly sliced red onion. Finally, spread the mozzarella lightly and evenly on the pita bread. Place the pita on a non-stick jelly roll pan. Bake for approximately 10 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and crushed red pepper. The jelly roll pan I use has a fluted surface for even baking. I do find that the pan you use does make a difference for crispiness. You can easily make this pizza totally vegetarian by omitting the pepperoni and add sliced bell pepper, mushrooms, olives or whatever you like.
*50% less fat and 40% fewer calories than Trader Joe’s regular shredded mozzarella cheese. Made from cows not treated with rBST.
**Label states “No nitrates added except for those naturally occurring in sea salt and celery powder. No antibiotics used. Humanly raised. Gluten & casein free.”